ISA announce immediate changes to Training Programmes
Following a review of the ISA’s training programmes conducted by the Training Advisory Group, the ISA’s Training Policy Group (TPG) was tasked with taking on board and implementing the recommendations made. The overall objective is to make sailing more accessible and more affordable within the training programmes. The following recommendations by the TPG have been discussed with the various stakeholders and the following changes take effect as of the 1st of January 2015.
The ISA’s Chief Executive now has responsibility for the development and delivery of the ISA’s Training schemes, with the support of the ISA regional development officers, training administration and National Trainers who have been appointed by the TPG.
1. VHF Licence will no longer be a requirement as a pre requisite for any level of ISA instructor training. While it is still a legal requirement to hold a VHF Licence to operate a VHF Radio, it is not the responsibility of the National Governing Body to regulate it within its instructor training programme.
2. Garda Vetting is now a pre requisite for all ISA instructor levels in all training schemes. This will permit an ISA Instructor to be recognised by all ISA Training Centres and cut down on current administrative requirements.
Small Boat Sailing Scheme:
1. Age limit – the age limit for anyone attending a SBSS instructor’s course is sixteen and a half (i.e. that they must be 17 within six months of attending the course).
2. Instructor Pre entry On Water – Spinnaker and Trapeezing will no longer be assessed as part of the Dinghy Instructor Pre-entry on water assessment but will remain in the Advanced Pre Entry Requirements. The remainder of the Pre –entry format will remain the same and continue to use the same PY rating of dinghy.
3. Instructor Pre entry Theory – the background knowledge test will have less questions from the Yachtmaster Syllabus and more relevance to Dinghy Sailing Requirements.
4. Senior Instructors - All current SI’s will be qualified as an SI in any discipline for which they hold a valid Instructors certificate. All Senior Instructor Courses will be run as 5 day generic course to facilitate more accessible courses.
Administration of Courses:
1. Authorisation: ISA Training Centres must be approved through the office to run both Pre-Entry Assessments and Instructor Courses. It is the responsibility of the Centre Principal and/or the Training Centre Manager to organise and schedule these bookings through the ISA training Department.
2. Scheduling these Courses with the ISA: The Centre Principal / Training Centre Manager must schedule their courses on the ISA Database one calendar month prior to the commencement of the instructor course.
A step by step guide on how to access the ISA Database and schedule courses is available online.
3. Refundable Booking Deposit: of €300 is payable to the ISA at the time of booking all instructor courses. Payment options may be arranged through the Training department. Course approval will be given upon receipt of the €300 refundable booking deposit and returned on completion of all administration which must be completed before one calendar month post course finishing.
4. Course Resources: All course paperwork and ISA Instructor Manuals shall be issued as soft electronic documents free of charge. Those Training Centres or Trainers who require the printed hard copy version can specifically request them and make appropriate payment
Please Note: All the relevant administrative details and procedures are available through the training department.
The changes outlined above will facilitate a more accessible approach to becoming instructor and more affordable pathway to progress through the system. The impact of the changes shall be monitored closely throughout the year and a measured review as outlined in the Strategic Plan at the end of the year.
The annual Training Briefing to detail the Strategic Plan for Training and update attendees on developments shall take place on Saturday 7th March in the National Yacht Club. A detailed schedule of the day will be sent out closer to the event.
For anyone with queries please contact the Training Department at email@example.com or 01 2800239
(ISA Chief Executive)