Squib Nationals 2015 - Race Area
Distance from venue to race area
- Courses would be laid on open water north and west of Howth harbour between the islands of Lambay and Ireland’s Eye
- Time to racecourse – on average, between 15 and 30 minutes
- Obstructions between harbour mouth and Race Area are clearly marked with buoys
Fig. 1. Approximate Race Area
Space for course rotation
- Racing waters are on a 7 mile stretch between Lambay Island and Ireland’s Eye island. Courses can be rotated through all points of the compass with minimal influence from surrounding land masses.
- Approx. 15m deep race area
- No Commercial Traffic
- Tides in race area flow generally in a north-south direction and are non-spring tides for the proposed and alternative dates for the event.
- The race area is outside those locations which are subject to complex tidal flows, such as the immediate environs of Ireland’s Eye. (See Fig.2.)
Fig.2. Howth tides
- Landmasses – the race area has a low lying landmass to the west and has minimal effect on wind direction or flow. Race area would be at least one mile from nearest land.
- The race area is not near cliffs which cause considerable bends.
- Weather conditions - steady winds, averaging 12-15 knots, prevailing from the West. (See Fig. 3, Windrose for Dublin Airport.)
Fig. 3. Windrose for Dublin Airport