20 May 2014
Here are some helpful guidelines to help members prepare news articles for publication to the HYC website:
- Be clear and succinct with your message
- Understand the diversity of your audience and ensure that your article is appropriate and interesting.
- Avoid 'flowery' language!
- Keep your message brief, measuring it with previous articles if in doubt as to the ideal length.
- Add good images/ photos. The headline image should be bright and of excellent quality and will require to be 'landscape' format for front page publication. Every article will require a photo or appropriate image.
- Avoid photos taken in poor light conditions by smartphones as they are unlikely to be of good enough quality to post. Night-time (prize giving) photos will require to be of high quality to be considered for publication.
- Remember that the centre news column is dedicated to appropriate sailing news and related activities. Social news headings appear in the left side column.
- Make sure it's not 'old' news and submit it early!
- Avoid using 'I' and 'we' - keep your script as though you are an observer rather than an integral part of the story. (Even if you were!)
- Remember that if your piece is published it will be promoting our club's interests as well as the members opinions and views.
- Avoid 'formatting' the text - as it will probably have to be edited.
....and finally, click the 'Post News' button at the foot of each page to email your articles.