End of Summer Series & Claremont Dinghy Series Reluctantly Abandoned

07 October 2020
End of Summer Series & Claremont Dinghy Series Reluctantly Abandoned

Update on End of Summer Series, Claremont Dinghy Series, Brass Monkeys and Laser Frostbites.

Further to the updated information about the extension of Dublin’s Level 3 COVID prevention measures from October 6th until midnight on October 27th, ‘at which point the situation will be reviewed by the Government’, the Sailing Committee has reluctantly decided that the End of Summer Series should be abandoned.

There were 81 boats entered for the Series and both the Saturday and Sunday fleets enjoyed spectacular days racing on September 12 / 13th with the expectation of eight more to come over the five weekends up to the planned last races on October 17th / 18th

The Level 3 restrictions prevent the organisation of racing and advise against participation in it. Irish Sailing sought to have the restrictions on racing relaxed in the light of the nature of our sport and the continuation of competitive activities in some others.  After pursuing the matter with Sports Ireland and the COVID Expert Group, they advised on October 1st that a relaxation has not been secured (www.sailing.ie/Coronavirus ) and competitive sailing remains embargoed by the Level 3 restrictions.

Abandonment of the Series is therefore the only course of action available to HYC.  Entry fees paid for the Series will be returned (in full) to all entrants over the course of the next week.

The Claremont Dinghy Series, scheduled to run from Oct 4th – 25th, is also a COVID casualty and has been cancelled.  However, our Junior dinghy sailors are still training afloat, which is permitted for Level 3, but will now have to wait for the New Year to test the skills they have been acquiring and polishing.

Whilst the 2020 Summer Season is now finished, plans are underway for both the Brass Monkeys and the Laser Frostbite Series to be sailed over the coming winter.  Given the current uncertainty about COVID restrictions, entries will not be invited for either event until Public Health clearance is given for racing to recommence.  November 8th is the target date for the first races of both series.

Although racing is not allowed under Level 3 restrictions, leisure sailing and training are permitted.  Members wishing to go afloat are encouraged to do so, the boat deck and marina are open and the launch service is operating to service boats on moorings.

The permanent racing marks are being lifted over the next fortnight and the East Pier Hut will be removed to winter storage, as per the licence terms that allow it to be placed on the Pier.  Both the Brass Monkey and Laser events will use marks laid for each day’s racing, as has been done in recent years, to avoid the loss of the permanent marks during the winter weather extremes.

Photo Credit: Annroi Blayney


Neil Murphy

Rear Commodore - Sailing